The Big Sister I Always Wanted

When I first met my Sorority Big Courtney during rush, I felt an instant connection. During the craziness of rushing and introductions and conversations, Courtney stood out to me. She was approachable, kind, and we had great conversations from the start. I felt like we got along right away, and it was so easy to talk to her—I felt like I could tell her anything once we got to the third day of rush. It was such a good feeling to find someone who seemed to understand me so well right from the start.

One of the things that bonded us right away was our shared passion for dance. Both of us are dance minors, and it was really cool to meet someone who not only understood the demands and joys of being a dancer but also shared the same enthusiasm for it. We talked about our favorite dance styles, our experiences in different performances, and so on. Knowing that we had this in common made our conversations even more special.

When the time came for our big/little reveal, and I found out Courtney was going to be my Big, I was beyond excited. I couldn’t have asked for a better match. From that moment on, Courtney has been the best big sister I could have ever asked for. 

As the oldest sister in my family, with two younger sisters looking up to me, I’ve loved my role as one of the responsible ones and being able to help guide them. But there was always a part of me that wanted an older sibling of my own—someone who could offer me advice, someone I could look up to, someone who had already navigated the twists and turns of life. Courtney became that person for me.

Courtney’s support has been amazing and is something I value so much. College can be a rollercoaster of stress, joy, anxiety, and discovery, and through all my meltdowns and triumphs, she really has been my rock. Whenever I needed help, whether it was with understanding a difficult class, dealing with the pressures of Greek life, or just needing someone to talk to about my day, Courtney was always there. She has an incredible ability to listen, to offer the perfect piece of advice, and to make me feel like I’m never alone.

One of the moments that stands out the most was during the fall semester when I ended up in the hospital. It was a tough time, and I felt overwhelmed and stressed (especially since it was during finals week). But when I returned to my place, there waiting for me was a beautiful bouquet of flowers and some of my favorite foods. Courtney had taken the time to make sure I was taken care of when I got back, knowing that I hadn’t had the time or energy to think about food. Her thoughtfulness definitely made me cry and reminded me just how lucky I was to have her in my life. 

Even now, with the school year over and us being over two hours apart, Courtney remains to be one of my greatest support systems. She's always just one call away, ready to help me with any problem, big or small. Whether it’s late-night texts or long phone calls, she’s there with the same kindness and wisdom she’s always had.

I miss Courtney so much. Being home has been wonderful in many ways, but it’s hard not to have her just a short walk or drive away. Her presence is going to be one of the things I look forward to the most when I return to campus. Knowing that she’s always there for me, even from a distance, is a comforting thought. I am endlessly grateful for that.


Courtney, if you’re reading this, thank you. Thank you for being the best Big I could ever imagine. Thank you for your constant support, your kindness, and your love. I can’t wait to see you again and continue making memories together.

 

#ILOVEMYBIG

Comments

  1. What an awesome and touching post! Your relationship with Courtney is unique, and it's encouraging to see how much you value her. Having someone who genuinely understands and supports you is incredible. Courtney is undoubtedly equally appreciative of your presence in her life. The story you shared is a beautiful reminder of the amazing bond humans can make. Thank you for sharing this heartfelt appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet post! I love that you were able to find a big sister or role model that you could look up to while in college. The connections made at ONU are so special! I am the oldest an grew up without any sisters, so I can relate to wanting an older sister! I feel that many of my older teammates became that for me, similar to your big. This was so sweet to read, I hope you guys are able to visit soon or that your summer goes by fast so that you can see her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts